Saturday, October 04, 2003

MSN Site Search Result for - writing: "Results 1-15 of about 9360 containing 'writing'"

Why does my intuition call it a new EREWHON ?

Samuel Butler's Erewhon: "Read, especially, the part about machines becoming intelligent. "

It is many years since I read it, 40 or 50.

Butler wrote in the Erewhon Preface: " Between 1865 and 1870 I wrote hardly anything, being hopeful of attaining that success as a painter which it has not been vouchsafed me to attain, but in the autumn of 1870, just as I was beginning to get occasionally hung at Royal Academy exhibitions, my friend, the late Sir F. N. (then Mr.) Broome, suggested to me that I should add somewhat to the articles I had already written, and string them together into a book. I was rather fired by the idea, but as I only worked at the MS. on Sundays it was some months before I had completed it. "


One of the many revelations experienced by me living on the Faeroe Islands was that to be a multi-kunstner was normal. (multi-kunst-ner, or-ler in German, is Danish = many-art-ist for multikünstler )


William Heinesen - the writer of close to NOBEL prize quality - was a good painter and amateur viola player and composed the music to accompany a film about him.

Google Search: "William Heinesen"

But he is generally badly translated from Danish and often seems quite wooden in English.

Most of his book covers are taken from his own paper-cut collages.
Google Search: "William Heinesen"

At Copenhagen university he was such a beautiful young man that two women literally fought each other pulling hair, and tooth and nail for his attentions, and became legendary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home