Friday, January 30, 2004

Statens Arkiver - Tilgængelighed og hvordan man kan søge særlig tilladelse


I have started creating Danish web pages too

slægtsforskning hos HUGO

HUGO is a joke between me and my late (danish) father in law Knud Kristoffersen

He could not pronounce HUGH, because the dipthong i-oo does not exist in Danish and the older generation did not get any english lessons at school in those days. (about 1927 to 1934) Their teachers weren't much good at english either because english only became an obligatory school subject in Denmark in about 1953. Certainly German was a popular and useful second language, until Herr Hitler spoiled that by occupying Denmark.

My ex-wife hated the name HUGO because, like BRYAN - pronounce BREE-AN, it is very unfashionable and used in jokes about village idiots and dumb criminals.

So Knud used to enjoy teasing his daughter and he was very very kind and welcomed me into his family.

My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Knud Mogens Kristoffersen

As an expat I have two circles of friends; english speaking danes (who like to practice their languages) and british and american expats (we like to maintain our mother tongues), and danish speaking neighbours and colleagues

BTW -- the danes have different rules about capitalisation which I tend to spread into english.


PS That was in those days, because recently Hugh Grant has made our first name known to most Danes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home