Thursday, May 20, 2004

I had a computer free day yesterday
I went to Wales by train through the spring flowers of the countryside with blooming apple orchards and past lambs and foals with their mothers to tne Monmouthshire AKA Gwent, County record office

Few of the Church books have been filmed let alone put on line, and . so I was allowed to handle a parchment from 1690. Magical.

I read the 1860 wages notebook from a paper mill - everyone worked for 12 hours 6 days a week - the women paid 9d a day the men up to 3/6d
(old english money)

and I found an uncatalogued marriage allegation issued by the bishop - today called a marriage licence, and a note to the vicar of the village.

"Good Sir
You are desired to publish the Banns of
marriage between Thomas Jones and
Winnfread Russell both of this parish."

With my whte beard and red shirt I was greeted as SANTA !
by children and adults on the street

Hugh W

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home