Saturday, August 20, 2005

"Extreme Genealogy." - Google Search

"Extreme Genealogy." - Google Search
and in a chat room onAOL

GCH GenTrek: Recently Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak ran a survey on Extreme Genealogy.
Grndmqus25: HI WB
Alummiisland: Hi, Bill
GCH GenTrek: Here are some of the responses:
GCH GenTrek: --- Made an eight-hour drive in the middle of a huge snowstorm in the nighttime to a state archives city because the trip was already planned and nothing could stop me!
GCH GenTrek: --- Flew to Iceland for a long weekend just to see the "old country."
GCH GenTrek: --- For me, it was to drive literally half way across the country, from Chicago to Baltimore, to meet a county archaeologist and see some of the items recovered from a dig on an ancestor's land.
GCH GenTrek: --- Gone off on a research trip alone for a week, which really irritated my boyfriend who thought I should be vacationing with him.
GCH GenTrek: --- Gone to Ireland and been elected clan chieftain.
Kashathree: lol
Alummiisland: Which clan, Dae?
GCH GenTrek: --- I spent a week in a tent in a campground (even cooked my meals over a campfire), spending my days searching all facilities available and my evenings perusing graveyards 'til they closed the gates.
GCH GenTrek: --- Flew to Wisconsin to help a third cousin I had met on the Internet clean up the old family cemetery of only a handful of grave sites on my great-great-grandfather's farm.
GCH GenTrek: --- Drove 700 miles in five days through all five New York City boroughs and the other counties in Long Island to meet living relatives.
GCH GenTrek: --- Moved to England from Texas.
GCH GenTrek: (personal fave)
GCH GenTrek: --- Traveled for six months in an RV visiting states, courthouses, graveyards, etc. and finding more than I ever expected. Such a thrill to see where they once lived!
GCH GenTrek: --- Took a trip to Budapest, hired a driver and translator, and visited country parishes researching family records.
GCH GenTrek: --- Hired a lobster boat to take us out to an island where ancestors had lived off the coast of Maine.
GCH GenTrek: --- Traveled from Australia to South Africa in the 1900s to meet descendants of my great-grandmother's brother who had "run away to join the circus," so the story ran, and had migrated to South Africa
GCH GenTrek: --- Spent time visiting cemeteries and other places to gather genealogical information while on my honeymoon.
GCH GenTrek: --- To live in the country (Finland) where my ancestors came from for six months.
SuAngGrame: Hummmmmmm
GCH GenTrek: --- Bought a 42-foot RV and a new jeep to travel the country in search of the past.
Kashathree: yeah, Mar
GCH GenTrek: --- Travel to the library in SLC. I am told Utah is a beautiful state, but in my numerous trips there, I've seen little but the inside of the library!
GCH GenTrek: --- Drove 400 miles to interview my mother's 100 year old cousin and drove back 400 miles the next day to attend the memorial service of my father's cousin.
SuAngGrame: Atrue genealogist
GCH GenTrek: --- Attended seven family reunions in five different states in a single year (to the consternation of my spouse).
GCH GenTrek: --- Taking my then 99-year-old grandfather back to a church homecoming in the town of his birth. My sisters, a cousin and niece went along.....
GCH GenTrek: We drove him through the whole area and tape-recorded his ...
GCH GenTrek: memories, photographed his birthplace and cemeteries, and mapped out the area according to his version of our family history. He just passed away last week at age 102, but his memories and stories will live on.
GCH GenTrek: .
GCH GenTrek: --- fin ---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home