Monday, November 14, 2005

Google Tombstone Phrases

Barry McGhan

Recently I made rubbings of two quite worn 19th Century headstones that each contained a passage of text.

I was able to make a good guess at a three to four word phrase on each stone. I then Googled the suspected phrase (in quotes to look for an exact match). In both cases, the phrase led to a passage in the King James version of the Bible.

For example, one phrase was "affliction of the afflicted" which led to "For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted neither hath he hid his face from him, but when he cried unto him he heard" (Psalms 22, v. 24).
Once I knew the rest of the words it was easy to make a comparison back to the rubbing to convince myself this was indeed the correct passage. A great mix of old and new technology, no?

thanks to Ancestry.com - Ancestry Daily News, 14 November 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home