Sunday, December 10, 2006

RootsWeb boards

RootsWeb Newsroom » Blog Archive » Message Boards Have Been Updated: "Judy Florian Says:
December 8th, 2006 at 8:00 am

Sigh. The new Boards are POORLY DESIGNED. I apologize to the programmers, who I’m sure would like to hear positive comments. But, instead, I can only recommend that Ancestry FIRE THEM ALL!

Volunteer Admins are Ancestry’s BEST SOURCE of FREE LABOR. We do the jobs that programmers don’t know HOW to do. So, WHY doesn’t Ancesty listen to the huge source of free labor they have?

Problems:
1. Boards I admin is not in alphabetical order. Hunting for the Board wastes time. I have better ways to use my time.

2. The threads are not user-friendly. Nor Admin friendly.

3. People rely on “link I visited” turning a different color. This is a web standard. Do Ancestry programmers ever visit www.w3.org ? Users need simple, standard links and ways to navigate.

If I have to keep a spreadsheet of dates of my last visits to a board so I can quickly find new posts to Admin — well, forget it. I won’t continue.

4. So far, if I edit a post, it opens it and shows DIFFERENT SURNAMES than shown before I open the post. HOW frustrating! A TOTAL waste of MY time.

I could go on and on, but… in summary…. when I think of using these boards as a user, I shudder.
When I think of Adminning them, I want to scream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home