Thursday, October 15, 2009

Paul White AT ABERYSTWYTH MUSUEM

EXHIBITION AT ABERYSTWYTH MUSUEM: "11 Oct 09
I will be exhibiting ruined mansion images, as well as other ruins throughout the counties of Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire at Aberystwyth (my home town) Museum from the 16th October 2009 until November 21st 2009.

I will also be giving a talk on the exhibition:
'A Place Deserted: Misfortune & Neglect - Ruins of Mid & West Wales' on Friday 6th November at 2:30pm in the Coliseum Gallery. Please do come along!"

About Paul White: " . . . . . . I was eventually persuaded by a friend to attend college to study photography further. I spent two years at Carmarthen College in South Wales and a further two years at Nottingham Trent University. I found a life outside my solitude, a solitude I still cherished, but I also found a space to let people in.

Whilst at college I became aware of the work of Aaron Siskind. Edward Weston had taught me to find a substance in my subject matter. Siskind did the same but by flattening the perspective. His work came as a revelation. His images, as Weston’s had some years back, sat comfortable with me and once explored on the page his images became tactile. Could it be they seemed to act as a parallel emotion to my solitude?

I soon began documenting tiny abstractions in walls and old signs. For me, as it did for Siskind, my work acted as a universal language.

Paul White October 2008"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home